From the Commander:
Spring is near, winter is heading out! Be watching the Message Board in the Legion for upcoming spring and summer events, especially the Texas Holdem Tournament coming the March 24th.
For God and Country
The American Legion was chartered and incorporated by Congress in 1919 as a patriotic veterans organization devoted to mutual helpfulness. It is the nation’s largest wartime veterans service organization, committed to mentoring youth and sponsorship of wholesome programs in our communities, advocating patriotism and honor, promoting strong national security, and continued devotion to our fellow service-members and veterans.
From the Auxiliary President:
The beginning of March, getting closer to spring!
We are beginning to get a slate of new officers together for our election in May and installation in June. I know it seems early, but time flies. If you or someone you know has any interest in running for an office, let me know and I’ll get you on the slate. And if you aren’t interested in being an officer, remember there is always a need for volunteers to help with dinners, repairs, yard clean up, etc.
We will be turning in the dimes collected for the Auxiliary Emergency Fund. It’s amazing that water bottle holds approximately $100. Thank you to all who have contributed to this helpful cause.
Daylight Saving Time begins Sunday, March 10th. Don’t forget to “spring forward” so that you can be on time for our meeting on Monday, March 11th at 7:00pm. Hope to see you there!
Our Post will be sponsoring a Zionsville Little League baseball team this spring and fall. Will have the schedule posted if you would like to watch our team play and show them some support.
We are still collecting items for the Domiciliary. The box for those donations is in the banquet room. Please remember the items for the Domiciliary must be new.
Look for the March AUX basket coming soon. You never know what is hidden in there. Tickets sell quickly and we thank you for your continued support.
In the spirit of Service, Not Self, the mission of the American Legion Auxiliary is to support The American Legion and to honor the sacrifice of those who serve by enhancing the lives of our veterans, military, and their families, both at home and abroad. For God and Country, we advocate for veterans, educate our citizens, mentor youth, and promote patriotism, good citizenship, peace and security.
From Post Service Officer:
VA Provides “Welcome Kit” to Access Your Benefits
All veterans must see this practical and easy to use resource. The VA through its mission, creativity, commitment and technology has recently launched the first of its kind “Welcome Kit” which gives you a way to easily access your earned benefits. Go to : https://www.va.gov/va_welcomekit_color.pdf.
The “Welcome Kit” helps you understand how VA can meet your needs. Although one can go to www.va.gov to search for areas of interest, this kit gives you direct links and phone numbers that saves you time. The Welcome Kit navigates you to your:
- ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS: Understand more about eligibility and how it affects your VA benefits.
- DISABILITY RATING: Understand how your disability rating affects your eligibility.
- LIFE JOURNEY: See how VA can support you throughout your life.
- CHECKLIST: Learn about ways to access the benefits and services you deserve.
- EMERGENCY RESOURCES: Find mental health resources and access immediate care.
- QUICK START GUIDES: Get additional details on accessing key VA benefits and services.
VA can support you and your loved ones in different ways throughout your life. Your VA Welcome Guide provides a broad overview of services VA can offer you. The guide addresses categories such as:
- Employment * Skills Training & Counseling * Online Career Tools;
- Health Care * Basic and Specialty Care * Mental Health Care * Long-Term Care * Crisis Support;
- Housing – * Short-Term Housing * Home Loans * Refinancing Options
- Memorialization * Burial and Committal Services * Headstones and Markers * Burial Flags and more;
- Finances * Monthly Disability Payments * Life Insurance * Burial Allowances;
- Education * GI Bill * Training Programs;
- More Support – Organizations outside of VA can help you find the support you need: * Veterans Service Organizations * Local Community Resources.
At your service,
From Post Adjutant:
Minutes from Joint Meeting:
Regular Meeting 11/12/2018
- Meeting opened in due form by Commander Colvin
- Rita reported that Aux. and Sal. agreed to donate $125 each for the spring and fall little league baseball. Bart said that the legion would also agree to the $125. ALR director also agreed that the ALR would also agree to the fee. Will officially approve at the next meeting. Rita needed to know at this time to start the paperwork.
- Randy Johnson took this time to explain what he thought what was wrong with the post.
- Steve Coulter gave a donation of $395 to the legion. This was a part of there membership dues. SAL donates $5 from the dues that are paid. He also reported that for the year of 2018, the SAL has donated $5862 for repairs and other projects here at the post. He also reported that we can get a “cash back” credit card. We can get money back by paying are bills with the credit card.
- Andy reports that the freezer still has not been repaired which was reported months ago. Woody spoke up and said he dropped the ball on this and will get on it.
- Minutes read and motion made and approved to accept.
- Tom Wothke read the financial report. Motion made and accepted.
- Stuart reports that his dad is hanging in there. Rick also reports that his parents are also ok.
- Bib Curry on sick call.
- Baseball donation voted on and approved.
- Tom told that an introduction letter has been written up for our Community Day event. Going to have the 5K run/ride and the Bicycle ride. Motor cycle event has been cancelled. Money raised will go for the Honor Flight program.
- Mick Witte reports that the Boy Scouts will no longer be chartered here. They are moving to the Boys and Girls club.
- Rick reports that today is Veterans Legislation day. See him for more information.
- New Business. Motion made and carried that Randy Johnson not be allowed to attend any more legion meeting.
- Any issue to come before the legion must be submitted to a SAL officer and they will present it to the post.
- SAL Commander says they will give $1000.00 to repair the dishwasher and also buy the soap for the dishwasher.
From the Club Manager:
Dates to Remember:
1st – Legion Pizza Night 5-8pm
8th – SAL Steak & Catfish Dinner 5-8pm
10th – Prime Rib Dinner 4-7pm
11th – Legion/AUX meeting 7pm
15th – Broasted Chicken Dinner 5-8pm
19th – ALR Burger/Pork Chop Dinner 5:30-8pm
22nd – Adult Karaoke in the bar 8pm-12am
24th – Prime Rib Dinner 4-7pm
24th – Texas Hold’em Tournament
26th – ALR Meeting 7pm
30th – Marley Fundraiser Dinner 4-7pm, Raffles, Band 7-10pm